Characteristics of good communication
Information dissemination event
Communication on strategy for practice: ”Play with the right tools”
Communication is a wholeness which includes internal and external communication and marketing communication. Internal communication refers to the interactive flow of information within an enterprise and it is directed at persons employed by the organisation. Examples of external target groups of communication are interest groups and the media. Marketing communication is communication which is needed in the management of client contacts and which is usually paid for by the organisation and contains numerous methods for its implementation.
- Characteristics of good communication
- Clear objectives
- Measurability + agreed indicators
- Committed parties
- Cooperation and communication successful
- Realistic timetable
- Change do not take place in a day
- Results in ”heaps”
- Contents/diversity and creativity
- Put questions directly to interest groups, examine, understand
- Combine different methods and know your communication tools
- Try a new things, but check to see if it works? Be bold enough to reject things if they don’t work.
Successful communication requires a methodical approach. The drawing up of a communication plan ensures that the necessary measures are implemented at the right time and that information dissemination is directed at the right interest group. It also is important to note that information dissemination has clearly defined factors and responsibilities and follow-up. A communication plan comprises the following elements:
- Situation analysis
- Target groups
- Spheres of responsibility
A communication plan can be presented in a written form and as a table making the timetable tangible. These elements of a communication plan supplement one another.
Information dissemination event
A news item can be passed on to the media via an information dissemination event, for example. An invitation to the information dissemination event is sent out clearly indicating the subject, the venue, the date and time, and the sender of the invitation plus contact details. A press release can be an attached to the invitation or it can be distributed at the information dissemination event. To succeed, an information dissemination event requires exact planning and advance preparations.
- Plan the date, time and venue, and possible transfers. Examples of less suitable points in time are Monday morning and Friday afternoon. The maximum duration of an information dissemination event is one hour.
- Plan the contents of the invitation call and send the invitations out sufficiently early.
- Consider who will host the event.Plan the progress of the information dissemination event carefully. What will be said and shown? What news and background material? How will the information be disseminated? (on paper, on CDs, on floppies)
- Plan serving of snacks and refreshment in time. Pay attention to special diets (non-alcoholic alternatives, tea, lactose-free, sugarless).
- Attend to after-event service. Did you promise to contact someone? Did you promise to send material to someone? Fulfil your promises!
- Follow-up – How successful was the information dissemination event? Was the desired news input in the media achieved?
The heading is meant to indicate the gist ofg the matter in brief, but also in a way the captures the reader’s interest. The first part of the press release is a caption condensing the gist of the press release. The style a press release notice is informative, every-day language, precise and objective. The paragraphs , sentences and phrases should be fairly short. The press release should be short and straightforward. The recommended length for a press release one A4 sheet, but it can also be longer if it is written in news style.
The author of the press release should be mentioned in top left corner of the press release. The addressee is not usually mentioned. A press release should have a date and the contact details of a person providing further information. Press releases are not signed.
A press release should provide the answers to the following questions:
Structure of a press release:
- Most important matter first
- One news item per press release