School of Tourism and Sports
In the School of Tourism and Sports studies offered for the exchange students specialize in Activity Tourism
. The courses related to the Activity Tourism are aimed both Tourism and Sports students which gives a fruitful combination of different skills to learn something new. The courses often include experimenting outdoor activities according to the season, for example canoeing, climbing, trekking, husky safari and different winter sports. In addition to the contact teaching, also a selection of online courses is offered for the exchange students in Tourism. This gives flexibility for students to plan their own timetables.
We also offer a beginner's course in Finnish, Finnish for Exchange Students (3 ECTS) which is recommeded for all exchange students.
1 Finnish credit (cr) is equal to 1 ECTS credit. This equals to approx. 27 hours of a student's work. The lists of courses offered for each academic year is available by the end of May each year. Please note that there might be changes in the timing and courses offered also later.
For one semester, the recommended amount of credits to choose is 30 ECTS.
Tourism students can choose courses also from the School of Business. However, it should be noted that if you choose courses from different years and schools, the courses may overlap. Choose courses from other fields or several years only if the timetable allows. The timetables will only be available at the beginning of each semester.
There is a course "St. Petersburg Study Trip" available for all students. The course includes a one-week study trip to St. Petersburg, Russia. The cost per student is approximately 150 - 200 Euros (+ visa costs). Please note:
- You will need a passport and the passport must be valid at least 6 months after the trip ends
- You will be applying for the visa from Finland as a foreigner to Russia. Further information about the Russian visa: http://www.vfsglobal.com/russia/finland/English/index.html! The visa will be applied as a group at the beginning of the semester in Kajaani.
- There is a limited number of places available for the trip. The final list of participants can only be confirmed after starting the studies.
- There are different Russian regulations for each nationality which sometimes may prevent you from participating. For example UK and Japanese citizens must prove that they have stayed in Finland for a minimum of 90 days BEFORE applying for the visa when applying from Finland.
- There may also be unforeseen changes in the visa regulations from the Russian side also on short notice.